Editor’s Note: Some content taken from 8 Powerful Promises of God from Psalm 91
By: Debbie McDaniel
“He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.”Psalm 91:1
The word “dwell” actually means, “to take up permanent residence in.” He reminds us to stay in His presence, for it’s a permanent place of living. His Word says if we do that, we will “rest” in the very "shadow of the Almighty." Shadows by definition are a place of protection or covering, they provide relief from the direct heat of the sun. If the heat is severe, the shade is the place we run to. It diminishes what we actually feel in the intensity of the heat.
Sometimes, maybe unintentionally, in the busyness or difficulties of living, we might strive to survive on our own. We forget that what we need most, God's protection and the comfort of His presence, are freely available to those who love Him and walk under His covering.
This entire Psalm is filled with the goodness and power of God. Great reminders that He faithfully works on behalf of those who love Him. And at the end of it all, God gives 8 reasons of why we do not have to fear.
Psalm 91's Promises from God
- "I will rescue him..." (deliver, cause to escape)
- "I will protect him..." (set him on a high place)
- "I will answer him..." (respond to, speak)
- "I will be with him in trouble..." (in afflictions, in distress)
- "I will deliver him..." (rescue, to bring into safety)"and honor him..." (to make rich, strong, heavy with honor)
- "With long life will I satisfy him..." (to have abundance in the journey)"and show him my salvation." (let him see my deliverance & victory)
There is great blessing as we seek after God, and choose to walk in His ways. In the midst of great darkness in this world, living in it all without His Truth and freedom, would be like wallowing in the pit. Not much hope to be found there. The truth is, this world has been dark for generations, since sin first entered the earth at the hiss of the enemy's lies.
Yet God's reminders are sure, strong, and true, assuring us that in all that we walk through in this journey, His call is always to rise above. He reminds us we're not alone. And though He never says that we won't face hard times, He does say He'll be with us in it, rescuing us, and shining His favor over us.