When you’re hurting and crying out for help, God hears you. When you are struggling, God is walking next to you. When you feel the most alone, God is working to turn your life around.
If you feel you have no hope in your life, turn to God. He is so powerful that He can transform even the worst of situations into something beautiful. God is working behind the scenes for you to turn your pain into hope.
Whether you’re going through a difficult period now, or are looking for a toolkit for the future, these scriptures, and quotes on overcoming adversity can help you tap into that inner power, supplied by the Holy Spirit, which gets us through.
God is Always in Control
It can be difficult to imagine why God would ever let someone suffer, but the truth is that God is always in control. Nothing happens in your life that He is not aware of. God has a great plan for your life! He knows that you will struggle through painful situations, but He can sustain you during the worst of times. We can rely on God when we are struggling because we know He is in control.
James 1:12-17 NIV Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
2 Corinthians 1:8-9 NIV We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead.
2 Corinthians 4:8-9 NIV We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.
God Won’t Fail You
1 Peter 4:19 NIV So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.
If God is allowing your suffering and you are dealing with it in a manner that pleases Him, keep on doing what is right and trust God
God promises that He will never leave you.
Deuteronomy 31:6 NIV Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
Even when terrible things happen in your life, Jesus is by your side. There is absolutely nothing that He can’t take on and win. Even the enemy trembles when you say His name!
James 2:19 NIV You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope. — Martin Luther King Jr.
- Should you shield the valleys from the windstorms, you would never see the beauty of their canyons.
- Valor withers without adversity.
- You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, “I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.”
- Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
- All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me. You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
- Turn your wounds into wisdom.
- Let me embrace thee, sour adversity, for wise men say it is the wisest course.
- You should never view your challenges as a disadvantage. Instead, it’s important for you to understand that your experience facing and overcoming adversity is actually one of your biggest advantages.
- I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.
- Show me someone who has done something worthwhile, and I'll show you someone who has overcome adversity.
- One thing is certain. When you come out of the storm you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.
Zechariah 4:6 NIV So he said to me, “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty.