Their song started with a question about their source. They looked to the great hills that surrounded Jerusalem and asked a rhetorical question (a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer). They knew the answer to the question of where their help came from. Jehovah was the source of all their help.
Not only was Jehovah their help, He was also their keeper (protector). The Psalm is full of words that emphasize Jehovah’s protection; help, watches, stands, protects.
The Psalm ends with the confidence that Jehovah will be with the pilgrims as they return to their homes.
The Great Safety Of The Godly Who Put Their Trust In God’s Protection
Psalm 121:1-8 (NLT)1 I look up to the mountains— does my help come from there?2 My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!3 He will not let you stumble; the one who watches over you will not slumber.4 Indeed, he who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps.5 The LORD himself watches over you! The LORD stands beside you as your protective shade.6 The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon at night.7 The LORD keeps you from all harm and watches over your life.8 The LORD keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever. (Bold mine)
Debbie McDaniel in her Crosswalk.com blogspot for Debbie McDaniel of Fresh Day Ahead applies the truths of Psalm 121 for us today.
- He's All-powerful. God is a mountain mover and Creator of heaven and earth. He's with us, always. He breathes help and strength into our souls, into our day.
- He won't allow us to fall. We may find ourselves on slippery slopes, or the path we're walking seems to be full of potholes and obstacles. But the God who knows all, knows our way. And even when we stumble, as our eyes are fixed on Him, He will keep our footsteps firm. For He watches over us and never sleeps or slumbers.
- He keeps us, safe, in His care. He protects us like the shade protects from the heat of the day. Why the "right hand?" Because it is known as the hand that works, so we can be assured that whatever He's given us to do in this life, His covering of protection rests over all of our work and efforts.
- He protects us from "all evil," not some, but "all." It does not have the final say over our lives. Fear of death, disease, and hardship has lost its sting, for our lives are hidden with Christ in God. No matter who or what we're rubbing shoulders with each day, God's power is greater than whatever darkness we might face. For He is the soul-keeper and He holds all of our tomorrows.
- He watches over us, constantly, His eyes are towards us. He cannot look away from those He loves. He watches our coming and our going, and all in between. He watches over our family and children, even when we cannot see. We do not have to worry, for He strongly supports those whose hearts are His.
My Help (Cometh From The Lord)
(Written by Jackie Gouche Farris)
I will lift up mine eyes to the hills
From whence cometh my help,
My help cometh from the Lord,
The Lord which made Heaven and Earth.
He said He would not suffer thy foot,
Thy foot to be moved;
The Lord which keepeth thee,
He will not slumber nor sleep.
Oh the Lord is thy keeper,
The Lord is thy shade
Upon thy right hand,
Upon thy right hand.
No, the sun shall not smite Thee by day,
Nor the moon by night,
He shall preserve thy soul
Even forever more.
My help, my help, my help,
All of my help cometh from the Lord.