She is a former member of the Georgia House of Representatives and the founder of Alveda King Ministries.
In a section of her book, King Rules: Ten Truths for You, Your Family, and Our Nation to Prosper Alveda came up with 25 quotes and prayers from her uncle as a way to communicate Dr. King’s message of faith, hope, and love which drove him as he championed equality for all. Here is a devotional from devotionals daily by Faithgateway.com published on Martin Luther King January 12, 2018.
by Alveda King
If Uncle M.L. Could Tweet
We need to remember that every age of every generation is the modern age. When we are born, there are things that humanity had either never seen or that had happened so long ago that we don’t remember. That’s why each new generation often thinks that the wisdom of the generations before is old-fashioned.
For instance, when I was born, television had only been invented a few years earlier. When my father, uncle, and aunt were born, automobiles were just a few decades old. When their grandparents were slaves, we all know how the way of their world was. Now, today, my children and grandchildren laugh when it takes forever for me to use technology they cut their teeth on. Yet while some things seem to change, some things never do. “History merely repeats itself,” said Solomon. “It has all been done before. Nothing under the sun is truly new” (Ecclesiastes 1:9).
In the early twenty-first century, social media is all the rage. I keep racking my brain for a way to communicate the message of the ages that my dear Uncle M.L. and indeed our whole Williams–King family have embraced: how faith, hope, love, and prayer are the keys that unlock the blessings of heaven. Suddenly, it came to me.
What if Uncle M.L. could tweet?
So for all the tech-savvy brothers and sisters out there, this collection of quotes comes from the timeless messages and prayers of Uncle M.L.
- I’m just a symbol of a movement. I stand there because others helped me to stand there, forces of history projected me there.
- We are made for the stars…
- Let us join together in a great fellowship of love.
- Heavenly Father, thank You for life, health, rewarding vocations, and peaceful living in this turbulent society.
- God, teach us to use the gift of reason as a blessing, not a curse.
- God, bring us visions that lift us from carnality and sin into the light of God’s glory.
- Agape love, repentance, forgiveness, prayer, faith: all are keys to resolving human issues.
- God, deliver us from the sins of idleness and indifference.
- Lord, teach me to unselfishly serve humanity.
- Lord, order our steps and help us order our priorities, keeping You above idols and material possessions, and to rediscover lost values.
- Lord Jesus, thank You for the peace that passes all understanding that helps us to cope with the tensions of modern living.
- Creator of life, thank You for holy matrimony, the privilege You grant man and wife as parents to aid You in Your creative activity.
- Dear Jesus, thank You for Your precious blood, shed for the remission of our sins. By Your stripes we are healed and set free!
- Dear God, You bless us with vocations and money. Help us to joyfully and obediently return tithes and gifts to You to advance Your Kingdom.
- Deliver us from self-centeredness and selfish egos. Dear Heavenly Father, help us to rise to the place where our faith in You, our dependency on You, brings new meaning to our lives.
- God, help us to believe we were created for that which is noble and good; help us to live in the light of Your great calling and destiny.
- Lord, help me to accept my tools, however dull they are; and then help me to do Your will with those tools. [Paraphrased]
- Our Father God, above all else save us from succumbing to the tragic temptation of becoming cynical.
- God, let us win the struggle for dignity and discipline, defeating the urge for retaliatory violence, choosing that grace which redeems.
- Remove all bitterness from my heart and give me the strength and courage to face any disaster that comes my way.
- God, thank You for the creative insights of the universe, for the saints and prophets of old, and for our foreparents.
- God, grant that people over the nation rise up, use talents and finances that God has given them, lead the people to the promised land.
- God, increase the persons of goodwill and moral sensitivity. Give us renewed confidence in nonviolence and the way of love as Christ taught.
- We are made to live together.
- Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for the ministering, warring, and worshipping angels You send to help keep and protect us in all our ways.
- We are all one human race, destined for greatness. Let us live together in peace and love in a Beloved Community.
- Have faith in God. God is Love. Love never fails. It is our prayer that we may be children of light, the kind of people for whose coming and ministry the world is waiting. Amen.
Dr. Alveda King’s words are lovingly crafted yet refreshingly blunt at a time when bluntness is needed to counter the forces of moral drift and empty relativism.
Beginning with a vulnerable admission of her own wounds and wanderings, Alveda unfolds eleven core values that have guided her family through generations of triumph and tragedy—and have played a pivotal role in fostering revolutionary change in society.
Out of a heart of compassion, she dispenses wise meditations on bedrock subjects including faith and family, peace and justice, education and civic life. With thoughtful conviction she also boldly tackles topics considered divisive in our postmodern world, from abortion and sexuality to gun control and marriage laws.
The King Rules is a page-turning narrative that blends eyewitness history with grandmotherly wisdom. And as J. C. Watts writes in the Foreword, the book is “more than Alveda’s story, it’s an account of the beliefs that redirected the course of a nation, that left us a legacy, and that hopefully will guide us again.”