Over the last four years I've written a number of posts, and led several Bible Studies on spiritual warfare.
In the posts, Bible Studies, and sermons ;
I've identified the enemy;
Ephesians 6:12 ESV For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
1 Peter 5:8-9 ESV Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.
I've identified the protection that God has equipped us in spiritual battles;
Ephesians 6:13-18a ESV Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication.
I've identified our weapons;
The Sword of the Spirit
Ephesians 6:17 ESV and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, (Emphasis mine)
Perhaps the finest example of effectively wielding the Sword of the Spirit, is that of our Lord Jesus Christ. The Bible is the most powerful offensive weapon that leads to victory over temptation and evil. In Matthew chapter 4 Jesus quotes the Bible three times to the devil... and the devil leaves Him!
Matthew 4:1, 3-11 ESV Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. And the tempter came and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread." But he answered, "It is written, "'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" Then the devil took him to the holy city and set him on the pinnacle of the temple and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down, for it is written, "'He will command his angels concerning you,' and "'On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone.'" Jesus said to him, "Again it is written, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'" Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to him, "All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me." Then Jesus said to him, "Be gone, Satan! For it is written, "'You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'" Then the devil left him, and behold, angels came and were ministering to him. (Emphasis mine)
Worship Is a Powerful Weapon Against the Enemy
After we put on our protective armor—truth, righteousness, the gospel of peace, faith, salvation, and the sword of the Spirit—there are other powerful weapons God has given us against the enemy that we must become skilled with as well. One extremely powerful weapon is praise and worship.
The enemy despises our worship and praise to God so much that he cannot even be in the presence of anyone who is actively doing that. So whenever you want the enemy to flee, worship God. It is one of our greatest weapons in the war against him. And it is our correct response to God for all He has done and is doing in our lives.
The enemy hates your worship of God because his own greatest objective is to get you to worship him instead.
God’s Grace Is a Weapon Against the Enemy
Grace is the unmerited favor of God. I believe that “Grace is the most important concept in the Bible, Christianity, and the world. It is most clearly expressed in the promises of God revealed in Scripture and embodied in Jesus Christ himself.”
Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Romans 3:21-25 ESV But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it— the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. (Emphasis mine)
Fasting with Prayer Is a Weapon Against the Enemy
In the Bible, people fasted and prayed before they made important decisions.
Esther 4:15-17 ESV Then Esther told them to reply to Mordecai, "Go, gather all the Jews to be found in Susa, and hold a fast on my behalf, and do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my young women will also fast as you do. Then I will go to the king, though it is against the law, and if I perish, I perish." Mordecai then went away and did everything as Esther had ordered him.
2 Chronicles 20:1-3 ESV After this the Moabites and Ammonites, and with them some of the Meunites, came against Jehoshaphat for battle. Some men came and told Jehoshaphat, "A great multitude is coming against you from Edom, from beyond the sea; and, behold, they are in Hazazon-tamar" (that is, Engedi). Then Jehoshaphat was afraid and set his face to seek the Lord , and proclaimed a fast throughout all Judah.
Because spiritual warfare is continuous, we must pray continually. That must be our priority as well. But our praying can increase in power. Fasting and prayer is a powerful weapon against the enemy. So when you need a breakthrough in any area of your life, fast and pray and see what God does in response.
Faith Is Not Only a Shield; It Is a Weapon
We cannot do anything without faith—especially please God.
Hebrews 11:6 ESV “And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.
Having faith in God is the opposite of trusting in ourselves. Faith means being convinced that God will do as He promised, so we stop striving to do everything on our own.
Our strong faith not only serves as our protective shield, but it is also one of our powerful weapons against the enemy. We must have faith that God hears and will answer our prayers.
Mark 11:22-23 ESV And Jesus answered them, "Have faith in God. Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be taken up and thrown into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him.
Prayer Is Always a Powerful Weapon Against the Enemy
While prayer is the battle itself, it is also a weapon. In prayer we tell God what we want Him to do. It’s not that He is unaware of the problem or doesn’t know what's going on. He knows what is going to happen before it happens. Before we see the need, He already knows the answer.
Isaiah 65:24 ESV Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear.
God has set it up that we pray and He answers. He doesn’t make us robots. He doesn’t impose His will on us. He waits for us to choose His will over our own. The reason He does this is so we will walk with Him in an ever-deepening relationship.
31 Spiritual Warfare Scriptures: Help for Facing Life's Battles
by Debbie McDaniel
We're in a battle in this world. We may not see it, we might forget it's there. But the enemy would love nothing more than to cause feelings of discouragement and defeat, bringing fear and stress. Don't let him win.
If you're a believer who is living like salt and light in a dark world, you won't go for long without encountering spiritual warfare - obstacles and attacks he'll hurl your direction. God reminds us in His word to stay aware of Satan’s schemes, to live alert in this world, and to stay close to Him.
He arms us with the sword, the Word of God, to stand against the enemy’s lies. He equips us with strength, wisdom, and discernment through His own Spirit to stay strong in the spiritual warfare battle. He invites us to spend time in His Presence, through prayer and worship, pressing in to know Him more.
As we grow to know God’s Truth and what is real, we also know more what is false, and we are stronger to stand against it in the powerful name of Jesus. He never leaves us to fend for ourselves in a dark world, but reminds us He is constantly with us, fighting for us, even when we cannot see.
Praying God’s words back to Him, is a powerful weapon against the forces of evil. It is Truth going out. It reminds us that God knows our way and understands what we face today. It builds our faith and our trust in God. It guards our hearts and focuses our minds back on Him. It wins the battle.
31 Spiritual Warfare Scriptures to Read, Pray, and Memorize:
1. "Submit yourselves to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." James 4:7
2. "You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world." 1 John 4:4
3. "For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2 Cor. 10:3-5
4. "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith." 1 Pet. 5:8-9
5. "No weapon that is formed against you will prosper; and every tongue that accuses you in judgment you will condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their vindication is from Me," declares the Lord." Is. 54:17
6. "Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." Eph. 6:11-17
7. "In all these things, we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." Rom. 8:37
8. "But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Cor. 15:57
9. "Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the Lord of hosts." Zech. 4:6
10. "But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one." 2 Thess. 3:3
11. “Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you.” Luke 10:19
12. “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” John 10:10
13. "Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven." Matt. 18:18-19
14. “The Lord will cause your enemies who rise against you to be defeated before you. They shall come out against you one way and flee before you seven ways.” Deut. 28:7
15. "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
16. “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.” 1 Cor. 10:13
17. “And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:32
18. “Do not be overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good.” Rom. 12:21
19. “And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.” Rev.12:11
20. “Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.” 1 Tim. 6:12
21. “,,,On this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” Matt. 16:18
22. “…the reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work.” 1 John 3:8
23. “But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.” Is. 40:31
24. “One of your men puts to flight a thousand, for the Lord your God is He who fights for you, just as He promised you.” Josh. 23:10
25. “Do not fear them, for the Lord your God is the one fighting for you.” Deut. 3:22
26. “What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us?” Rom. 8:31
27. “Through You we will push back our adversaries, through Your name we will trample down those who rise up against us.” Ps. 44:5
28. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Josh. 1:9
29. “For You have girded me with strength for battle; You have subdued under me those who rose up against me.” Ps. 18:39
30. “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust. Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart…” Ps. 91:1-4
31. "This is what the Lord says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's." 2 Chron. 20:15
When we belong to Christ, the enemy never has the final word over our lives. We are secure in God's hands.
Press on – courageous and free – never held back by fear or defeat. The battle belongs to the Lord, and He has the final victory...
This blog is for you! If you have any questions or topics you would like me to address please use the comments section or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Donald Jacobs is an ordained minister with the spiritual gift of teaching. He is the Associate Pastor of a non-denominational church in Los Angeles, CA.