Who are these people who have been called the “Faith Hall of Fame”?
Here is a list of them:
- Abel – Hebrews 11:4 (HCSB) By faith Abel offered to God a better sacrifice than Cain ⌊did⌋. By faith he was approved as a righteous man, because God approved his gifts, and even though he is dead, he still speaks through his faith.
- Enoch – Hebrews 11:5 (HCSB) By faith Enoch was taken away so he did not experience death, and he was not to be found because God took him away. For prior to his removal he was approved, since he had pleased God.
- Noah – Hebrews 11:7 (HCSB) By faith Noah, after he was warned about what was not yet seen and motivated by godly fear, built an ark to deliver his family. By faith he condemned the world and became an heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.
- Abraham – Hebrews 11:8-10 (HCSB) By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed and went out to a place he was going to receive as an inheritance. He went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he stayed as a foreigner in the land of promise, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, coheirs of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose architect and builder is God.
- Sarah - Hebrews 11:11 (HCSB) By faith even Sarah herself, when she was unable to have children, received power to conceive offspring, even though she was past the age, since she considered that the One who had promised was faithful.
- Isaac – Hebrews 11:20 (HCSB) By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come.
- Jacob – Hebrews 11:21 (HCSB) By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, and he worshiped, leaning on the top of his staff.
- Joseph – Hebrews 11:22 (HCSB) By faith Joseph, as he was nearing the end of his life, mentioned the exodus of the Israelites and gave instructions concerning his bones.
- Moses’ parents – who by faith hid Moses from the edict of Pharaoh and did not leave him to die
- Moses – Hebrews 11:23-28 (HCSB) By faith, after Moses was born, he was hidden by his parents for three months, because they saw that the child was beautiful, and they didn’t fear the king’s edict. By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter and chose to suffer with the people of God rather than to enjoy the short-lived pleasure of sin. For he considered the reproach because of the Messiah to be greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, since his attention was on the reward. By faith he left Egypt behind, not being afraid of the king’s anger, for Moses persevered as one who sees Him who is invisible. By faith he instituted the Passover and the sprinkling of the blood, so that the destroyer of the firstborn might not touch the Israelites.
- The People - Hebrews 11:29 (HCSB) By faith they crossed the Red Sea as though they were on dry land. When the Egyptians attempted to do this, they were drowned.
- Rahab – Hebrews 11:31 (HCSB) By faith Rahab the prostitute received the spies in peace and didn’t perish with those who disobeyed.
- Others of Israel - Hebrews 11:32-38 (HCSB) And what more can I say? Time is too short for me to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel, and the prophets, who by faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, obtained promises, shut the mouths of lions, quenched the raging of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, gained strength after being weak, became mighty in battle, and put foreign armies to flight. Women received their dead—they were raised to life again. Some men were tortured, not accepting release, so that they might gain a better resurrection, and others experienced mockings and scourgings, as well as bonds and imprisonment. They were stoned, they were sawed in two, they died by the sword, they wandered about in sheepskins, in goatskins, destitute, afflicted, and mistreated. The world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and on mountains, ⌊hiding⌋ in caves and holes in the ground.
So in summary this great cloud of witnesses are all those who have gone before us. Some of the famous and others not famous at all. They all lived lives of faith trusting God and worshiping His Son. Their lives are inspiration and examples for us to follow as we walk in our faith. I'll be writing more about these heroes and others.
This cloud is now millions of people. If you are not in this cloud,, and you are not if you have not accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, please do it today. Your life depends on it. If you want to know how to become part of this “great cloud of witnesses” leave me a comment or email me here. EMAIL