As we approach the end of 2015 I want to share some things from the Word of God to inspire you as we enter 2016. I’m sure that the year that is ending, 2015, many have had lots of ups and downs, times of great joy and times of great sorrow, times of plenty and times of lack, times of feeling close to God and perhaps some times you didn’t feel so close to Him. All of these happened for me in 2015 yet I remembered, even in those tough times that I didn’t feel that God was so close, that He promised to never leave or forsake me.
Deuteronomy 31:6 (HCSB)6 Be strong and courageous; don’t be terrified or afraid of them. For it is the LORD your God who goes with you; He will not leave you or forsake you.”
I remembered that while all of those things were happening in 2015 that God was working them together for good to conform me to the image of His Son.
Romans 8:28-29 (HCSB)28 We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.29 For those He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers.
Here is something that I wrote in my last post of 2014. It is from the book “Anne of Green Gables” by Lucy Maude Montgomery. “Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” That’s enough to make you shout.
The year 2016 starts with excitement and anticipation and there are no mistakes in it. At 12:01 January 1st. let’s start the year with the Word of God. Here are 16 inspirational scriptures to get us started. I pray that 2016 will be your best year yet.
Forgetting the Past
1. Philippians 3:13 (HCSB) Brothers, I do not consider myself to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and reaching forward to what is ahead,
2. Hebrews 12:1-2 (HCSB) 1 Therefore, since we also have such a large cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily ensnares us. Let us run with endurance the race that lies before us, 2 keeping our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that lay before Him endured a cross and despised the shame and has sat down at the right hand of God’s throne.
3. Hebrews 12:10-11 (HCSB) 10 For they disciplined us for a short time based on what seemed good to them, but He does it for our benefit, so that we can share His holiness. 11 No discipline seems enjoyable at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it yields the fruit of peace and righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
Hope for the Future
4. Psalm 37:7 (HCSB) Be silent before the LORD and wait expectantly for Him; do not be agitated by one who prospers in his way, by the man who carries out evil plans.
5. Proverbs 24:16 (HCSB) Though a righteous man falls seven times, he will get up, but the wicked will stumble into ruin.
6. Isaiah 40:31 (HCSB) but those who trust in the LORD will renew their strength; they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not faint.
7. Jeremiah 29:11 (HCSB) For I know the plans I have for you”--⌊this is⌋ the LORD’s declaration—“plans for ⌊your⌋welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
8. Lamentations 3:22-24 (HCSB ) 22 Because of the LORD’s faithful love we do not perish, for His mercies never end. 23 They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness! 24 I say: The LORD is my portion, therefore I will put my hope in Him.
9. 1 Corinthians 2:9 (HCSB)9 But as it is written: What eye did not see and ear did not hear, and what never entered the human mind— God prepared this for those who love Him.
A New Beginning
10. 2 Corinthians 5:17 (HCSB) Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, ⌊he is⌋ a new creation; old things have passed away, and look, new things have come.
11. Isaiah 40:29-31 (HCSB)29 He gives strength to the weary and strengthens the powerless.30 Youths may faint and grow weary, and young men stumble and fall,31 but those who trust in the LORD will renew their strength; they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not faint.
12. Isaiah 43:18-19 (HCSB)18 “Do not remember the past events, pay no attention to things of old.19 Look, I am about to do something new; even now it is coming. Do you not see it? Indeed, I will make a way in the wilderness, rivers in the desert.
13. Psalm 98:1 (HCSB) Sing a new song to the LORD, for He has performed wonders; His right hand and holy arm have won Him victory.
14. Revelation 21:4-5 (HCSB)4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. Death will no longer exist; grief, crying, and pain will exist no longer, because the previouLs things have passed away.5 Then the One seated on the throne said, “Look! I am making everything new.” He also said, “Write, because these words are faithful and true.”
God's Timing is Perfect
15. Ecclesiastes 3:11 (HCSB) He has made everything appropriate in its time. He has also put eternity in their hearts, but man cannot discover the work God has done from beginning to end.
16. Habakkuk 2:3 (HCSB) For the vision is yet for the appointed time; it testifies about the end and will not lie. Though it delays, wait for it, since it will certainly come and not be late.
Let's Ring Out the Old and Ring in the New Meditating on the Word of God
Psalm 119:105 (HCSB) Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light on my path.
Proverbs 4:20-22 (HCSB) 20 My son, pay attention to my words; listen closely to my sayings. 21 Don’t lose sight of them; keep them within your heart. 22 For they are life to those who find them, and health to one’s whole body.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
This blog is for you! If you have any questions or topics you would like me to address please use the comments section or email me at email@example.com
Donald Jacobs is an ordained minister with the spiritual gift of teaching. He is the Associate Pastor of a non-denominational church in Los Angeles, CA.